Another update on actions taken against numerous Mexborough community issues since 28th Feb and also a number of other issues we are currently dealing with.
Mex Cllrs spoke again with the newly appointed Director of Regeneration & Development at Doncaster Council yesterday via Microsoft Teams and we caught up on a number of ‘hot spot’ community issues across the town.
Our next monthly Ward Meeting will take place on Tue 6th Apr with DMBC Stronger Communities Communities South Area Team, St Leger Homes Doncaster Enforcement Team, Street Scene Team etc and we will continue to raise our concerns on a number of issues.
1) Red Lion – ongoing issue. We have been assured that the building will be fully secured very soon and enforcement action is ongoing. We will keep you posted on developments.
2) Fly-Tipping on former SLH garage site located between Laburnum Road/Old Farm Court – the site now cleared following intervention by Director Dan S and effective work by our local Enforcement Officer. This fencing around the site should shortly be secured properly again. We have asked for a metal folding bar to be installed at the lane entrance off Laburnum Road to deter further fly-tippers.
3) Fly-tipping on former Windhill Avenue housing site – reported to St Leger Homes who have arranged for their Caretaking Team to clear on 1st Mar. Following an inspection by Mex Cllrs, furthermore robust cleanse required as a number of areas still riddled with dumped rubbish.
4) Fly-tipping on former Harlington Road Day Centre site – reported to DMBC Enforcement team who contacted the owner and site now cleared.
5) Footpath between Harlington Road and Lingfield Walk – following resident complaints we have visited the site and asked the DMBC Street Scene team to fully cleanse asap. Now cleansed.
6) Potholes on Tennyson Avenue/Genoa Street/Kings Road/Pitt Street/White Lee Road/Sedgefield Way/Chepstow Drive etc – all sorted apart from Chepstow Drive which we have been informed is ‘under the intervention criteria’ as potholes only 25mm deep and not the required 40mm! We will be taking this issue up with the Director responsible ASAP. Also same applies to Kings Road surface and a pothole on Cobden Avenue which again we will escalate further.
New potholes on Cross Gate, Arnold Cres / Adwick Road, Bank Street and Church Street reported to DMBC Highways for inspection and repair asap.
7) Litter Bins – following our town walks a number of litter bins have been highlighted as full to the brim and raised for emptying by the Street Scene team…which was promptly done…and more regular emptying requested in ‘hot spot’ locations.
Old style metal slat ‘Cardiff’ bins – new inner liners requested in two bins in Manvers Park as rotten and Street Scene will replace asap. Also, an inner bin liner installed in Castle Hills Park and dumped dog mess on top of one of the bins now removed by the Street Scene team.
8) Former Scrapyard on White Lee Road – fly-tipping at both the site entrance and on the site behind the gates. Reported to DMBC Enforcement on Friday for inspection and clearance asap. Some dumped rubbish has been cleared but then more rubbish dumped which will be removed shortly. Work is ongoing to completely clear the site asap
9) Potentially dangerous wall at the side of Cambridge Street off Wath Road – reported by a local resident and we escalated and asked for an urgent inspection ASAP. DMBC Building Control team are currently arranging for the wall to be safely dismantled to a much safer height following recent storm damage.
10) Dumped litter/rubbish at rear of Nat West on Bank Street – reported to DMBC Street Scene who have recently cleansed and shrubbery cut-back
11) Milton Road Garage Site – lots of beer cans, dumped doors/rubbish etc. Reported to SLH who arranged for the Caretaking team to cleanse and secure the site
12) Green-space opposite Royal Electric Theatre on Bank Street – reported to DMBC for cleansing asap. Will be cleansed very soon as this had been identified as being private land.
13) Rear yard of South Yorkshire pub – dire state of this eyesore at key central town point has been raised as a serious concern with DMBC Enforcement who have been asked to arrange for the site to be cleared and secured as a priority.
14) Public Footpath between Coniston Road and Windhill Crescent – the dire state of this very neglected public footpath has been raised at the most senior level with Doncaster Council and SLH and will shortly commence cleansing works as a priority with a letter to local residents & tenants reminding them not to throw unwanted rubbish over their rear fences onto the footpath.
15) Public Footpath between Donnington Road and Clayfield View – another dire state following more recent flytipping in this ‘hot spot’ area. Raised at a most senior level in DMBC for enforcement action
16) New road surfacing now complete on Simpson Place and West Road. Looks a damn sight better as you can see from the attached photos.
17) Damaged fencing on perimeter of Manvers Park on Wath Road – reported to DMBC for repair asap
18) Dropped Kerbs at the junction of Hirst Gate and Doncaster Road – this ongoing community issue will finally be resolved following resident complaints about the current height of these two dropped kerbs which are currently unsafe for mobility scooters
19) Thirlmere Court – recently cleansed by DMBC Street Scene following our request for the area to be cleared of litter and swept of leaves
20) Rocket Field – green space on Pitt Street entrance recently cleansed of litter and dumped headboard by DMBC Street Scene team. It would be really appreciated if local residents can continue to assist us by reporting any community issues directly to DMBC via the appropriate process (see below). This ensures that each issue is logged on the council system, individually referenced and will then be actioned in line with the agreed Service Level Agreement (SLA) period. This will greatly assist us in cleaning up our town and targeting ‘hot-spot’ areas.
Please ensure that any community issues are reported ASAP to Doncaster Council via 01302 736000 or via the website – https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/report-it
A reference number will be provided for each report made. If the issue has not been resolved in a few days, then please contact your Mexborough Cllrs via our website, email accounts (as detailed below) or via our Facebook page (private message) and we will chase progress with DMBC.
Thank you for your ongoing support in trying to improve our town and hope you found this update useful. More updates to follow very soon!
Andy, Bev & Sean
Mexborough First Councillors
Cllr Andy Pickering – 07746 190563
Cllr Bev Chapman – 07722 960609
Cllr Sean Gibbons – 07887 750175
‘Always Putting Mexborough First’